Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Training week 2/6 - 2/13 Taper Time, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tapering for a race sucks!  My week so far has consisted of Walking/Running 30 minutes each day with 3x daily stretching sessions.  I am trying not to go crazy, but I am very excited about running the Holiday Lake 50k this upcoming Saturday in Appomattox Virginia as I am rested and ready to race.  This is a great way of gauging my fitness and see if my current training strategy pays off.  This race doesn't have much of a elevation profile and should be fairly easy, but is a good way to start off my 2011 season.  I will make sure to take pictures on Saturday and write up a race review sometime early next week.

I have been looking online for some 24 hour races in the Mid-Atlantic area and I have found a few that I have been considering but I feel like the Black Mountain Monster 12/24 fits best with my current schedule.  The course is a 3 mile loop that is mostly flat and softly wooded (nice feature seeing how this race is in June and it will probably be hot, hot, hot).  I have never run a 24 hour race, but I feel this is a necessity considering my ultimate goal of running a 100 mile race next July in Vermont.  The race is fairly close to me ~500 miles.  All the other 24 hour races are very short loops (.85 - 1 mile) or don't work with my current race schedule.  Hopefully Emily (my wife) will be down to do a little camping in NC with our new camping gear we received this past Christmas. 

I also wanted to congratulate Tom DeKornfeld (25:27) & Suzie Spangler (25:16) for finishing the RR 100 last weekend in Texas, well done!!!

See ya on the trails,
JP

0 comments:

Post a Comment